Sunday, February 20, 2011

Influential Entertainment

This past weekend I met an artist by the name of Wiz Khalifa.  Many know him only because of his newest hit single, Black and Yellow.  Most people do not even know his name upfront until they are reminded by the tune, “black and yellow, black and yellow…everything I do, I do it big.”   As an intern at the MassMutual Center in Springfield, I have been given many opportunities to meet some of the latest and oldest icons of entertainment.  Saturday, February 19, 2011, Wiz was coming to perform in the Exhibition Hall where I would be assisting the Senior Event Manager in preparing for the sold out rap concert that night.  I was excited to meet Wiz face to face only because of his title as an upcoming star.  No matter who, it is always an overwhelming experience to communicate with someone of higher acknowledgement.  Unfortunately, how quickly my respect was lost for him shortly after the first informal hello. 

Khalifa and his crew emerged from their tour bus reeking of pot, resulting in them having a difficult time communicating with our accommodating staff.  Also, as I reviewed his list of needs, I was disappointed to see goods such as Trojan condoms and cigarettes.  Although a respected artist performing in front of a rather young audience, I became aware of his most prized priorities and intentions.  It made me evaluate how easily fans are influenced by artists and tricked into believing their lives are glamorous and easier than the “normal” lifestyle we live.    The world of entertainment today has such an empowering influence on our younger generation, depicting how people choose and prioritize their needs and wants.  It is starting to become clear of why our society deems the inappropriate to be acceptable.


No comments:

Post a Comment